Thursday, August 30, 2007

the magical swing

Nate is a spoiled little man. From his birth, it seems as if someone is always holding him, so of course, that's what he prefers. He sometimes will lay on my bed for a few minutes while I get ready without crying. He lasts in his bouncy seat & car seat for about the same amount of time. I know I need to break him of this habit but he's just too little to let scream for that long when I'm standing right there. If there's something I really need to do, I let him cry for a few minutes but what can i say. I'm a softy.
However, I found something he actually enjoys! My sister Ali let me borrow her swing since she doesn't need it again for a few months. Once I got him swinging, the music going, and the birds/flowers rotating above his head, he LOVED it. I think it helps that he's starting to be able to focus on things or at least see that something is there. When I put him in the swing, he immediately turns his entire body and angles his head so he can look up and see what's going on. He's even got this inquisitive look on his face. It's quite funny. Then, after about 15 minutes of being totally mesmerized, he falls asleep with his neck sideways. It's a great thing for me in the late afternoon when he's a little fussy. It helps him calm down and I can at least get a small task done while he's in there. Thanks Ali for letting us use the swing for a while!

11 comments:

Doreen Griffeth said...

The swing worked wonders for me when I really had to get something done. I couldn't let my kids cry either! He is SO cute! We can hardly wait to see him!
Love,
MOM

Megan said...

oh good! The swing was a life saver for me too! He is so cute and I just want to hold him!!! It's killing me! Everyone is saying that I'm getting that baby urge again.....but I promise it's just for everyone else's baby!haha

Anya said...

I got your scrap/stamp stuff- it is official, we need to start a monthly night!!

Katie said...

I hear they're the gretest...sadly we passed on this purchase b/c of no room in our apartment, but I'm thinking baby #2 will maybe get a go on this. And...to comment on your previous post...I'm so glad you're addicted to 24. It's quite possibly my favorite show EVER, and my entire family is hooked. We watch it religiously and it only gets better. May I also suggest LOST, if you don't already watch it. It's another one we got hooked on once the baby was born and we had lots of nights in and lots of late nights!

Ali said...

Anytime

Alisha said...

Swings are definitely a must have! There are just those times that you have to get some things done and the baby is fussy...I have worn my swing out! He still is so cute.

Kelsey said...

Glad you could find some solitude! He looks like he has already grown so much! Love it!

Bella Beginnings said...

YEah for peace for moms!!! Addilyn loved her swing for a very short time, but that short time allowed me to shower every day. what a luxury! I am so happy that you have found something for him. He is such a cutie!!!

mrs. timberlake said...

I love that you found something that worked for you. And thank heaven for hand me downs and borrowed items. And, as always, he is freakin adorable. Love looking at the pictures.

510Jen said...

e are big swing fand in the Chandler home also WAHOO!

Tina said...

He is getting so big and changing a ton. Most kids love the swing and it is a life saver for those fussy times and times when you need to get things done. But i agree it's hard to not just sit and hold them they are such a miracle.