Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Escape, by Carolyn Jessop



I just finished reading this fabulous book about an amazing woman, Carolyn Jessop, and her escape from the FLDS church & her abusive life. I thought I knew a little bit about this religion but I didn't at all. I understood the polygamy portion of it, but the rest was pretty much all new to me. And to think that the actual act of having multiple wives is probably the least of your concerns when you find out what else goes on. I think this review says it all:

"Escape provides an astonishing look behind the tightly drawn curtains of the FLDS Church, one of the most secretive religious groups in the United States. The story Carolyn Jessop tells is so weird and shocking that one hesitates to believe a sect like this, with 10,000 polygamous followers, could really exist in 21st-century America. But Jessop’s courageous, heart-wrenching account is absolutely factual. This riveting book reminds us that truth can indeed be much, much stranger than fiction."

The book made me so incredibly grateful for the life I was born in to. She has dealt with so much in her lifetime and is such a strong person to do what she has done for herself and her 8 children. It makes my little daily hardships seem like absolutely nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend this book. I can't believe that this cult has been able to exist in our country as they break law after law after law. If you read it, let me know what you think.

6 comments:

Ali said...

Maybe it would be good for book club....

Camille said...

I totally saw this lady on Oprah. She talked all about it and how their religion needs to be stopped! I didn't know she was writing a book. I'll definetly have to get it. Thanks!

mrs. timberlake said...

interesente. i have oh say 4 books on my bookshelf to read, but this will be added to the list. Always looking for a good suggestion. Danka.

Anya said...

If no one else borrows it before I go to the hospital, bring it to me to read :)

Rissa and Jared said...

I haven't read this (yet), but I read something similar called Daughter of the Saints, about a woman who escaped from a sect in Sandy, Utah. It was fascinating--hopefully one day i'll get around to reading for leisure again!

familyof4 said...

I've read an interview or two from Carolyn and was interested in reading her book. I just read the book Stolen Innocence, with is similar to Escape. Maybe now I'll go check it out. =)

Good seeing you lately.