Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor Day Weekend 2011

We had a great Labor Day weekend.  I have to say – it was great to just be home!  We’ve had a crazy summer traveling all over.

It was the perfect mix of fun and being productive.

date night

Wes & I started it off right with a date on Friday night.  We grabbed a quick dinner at Rachel’s Kitchen, walked around The District for a minute & then saw The Help.  Loved it.

boulder beach at lake mead

Saturday morning we headed to Boulder Beach.  It’s a “beach” at Lake Mead where the boat-less hang out. 

It started off with a stop at the marina to feed the carp.  The kids always love feeding the nasty [and huge] carp.

lake mead marina (1 of 1)

larsons feeding fish (1 of 1)

ryan.wes feeding fish (1 of 1)

brityn and madeline (1 of 1)

nate and his dad (1 of 1)

madeline swimming with fish (1 of 1)

And then we plopped ourselves on the beach of Lake Mead & had fun swimming in the water and playing in the sand.  There’s even sea-shells at this beach so the kids found treasures.  A few of us swam out to the buoys and got a little exercise.  We had a great morning with friends hanging out in the sun!

ryan and madeline (1 of 1)

girls playing (1 of 1)

swifts and jamie in water (1 of 1)

wes and nate playing (1 of 1)

 

being productive

. Our yard was like a jungle.  With all of our traveling I’ve ignored it.  It’s too hot to do major pruning but I did clean up all of the weeds, Wes mowed the lawn, and we power washed the pool deck, back porch & front porch.  It’s nice to have a normal yard again!

. I started decorating for fall.  Since we stay so hot here in this lovely desert I have to pretend it’s fall inside.

. I sanded one of my future kitchen chairs [a Craigs List purchase that needs some love]. 

. Wes vacuumed out my car.

. I went to a bread class with Kiley a few weeks ago and I’m slightly addicted to this new dough recipe. [I’ve NEVER made bread or anything that involves dough!].  I cranked out a few loaves of bread, cinnamon rolls, orange rolls and a batch of croutons.  I’m definitely in the trial and error phase of being a baker but it’s kinda fun.

 

more fun

The weather on Monday was overcast and gloomy which didn’t scream “jump in the pool” to us so Wes ended up taking Nate to see The Smurfs with our friends Tristan & Carter.  I didn’t want our cheap Fandango passes to expire this week!  Nate really liked the movie [Abbie & Daisy introduced Nate to the Smurfs at the beach] and it was nice for the boys to go do something together.  I loved my quiet few hours at home to decorate a little!  We ended our weekend with dinner at Café Rio and a little Nielsens custard next door.

ryan at nielsens

nate at nielsens

Overall, a great weekend. 

5 comments:

laurel said...

That does sound like a great weekend! The beach at lake mead looks very fun. And I'm impressed with your new dough making skills!

J-Leav said...

Orange rolls?! You super mormon woman :)

Alyssa Griffeth said...

Sounds like a super fun weekend!!

I WANT THIS NEW DOUGH RECIPE OF YOURS! I am actually teaching a cinnamon/orange roll making class at enrichment THIS week! (yes, as in tomorrow...) and I still can't decide which of my many dough recipes to use. Debating between vanilla pudding dough and buttermilk dough. But I'm ALWAYS willing to try a new recommendation. Do ya mind sending it my way?!?!

Doreen Griffeth said...

Wow! What a weekend! You certainly know how to "relax" on a weekend!
Love,
MOM G

mrs. timberlake said...

i'm sorry... i thought you said you baked bread or something. hellooooooooooooooo. you are going over to the dark side.

can't wait for pics of the chairs. i feel partially responsible for the success of them :)