Sunday, February 14, 2010

SCORPIONS

Yes, we have scorpions at our new house.

Yes, they are creeping me out.

But as I talk to more people, I’m learning of more ways to get them under control so that’s helping my mental state.


I received many warnings from my sister and friends that our new house was in one of the “scorpion pockets” of Green Valley. I’ve lived here the majority of my life and have never seen a scorpion until moving into this house. ANY bug freaks me out – I hate knowing that I may see a little friend when I least expect it – but these scorpions are just gross.

It doesn’t help that this house was vacant for 5 months before we moved in. And that we have a ton of palm trees and ugly, pink desert rock throughout the yard. They like palm trees and rocks.

Since the seller of this home did a lot of work on the inside before we bought it – we decided cleaning up the yard would be a good first project before it gets too hot. So yesterday we hired my parent’s yard guys to come over and trim our palm trees. They cut them all back and shaved the base of all of them. They found a few scorpions while they were working but as we went on our scorpion hunt last night with our black lights – we found a number of them still alive {they aren’t alive anymore!} and LOTS of bright specs of pieces of scorpions killed by the chainsaw. A small scorpion victory for me seeing how many were killed! Just wait until this coming Saturday when we really tear up the yard.

LUCKILY they light up at night with the use of a blacklight so you better believe Wes and I go on scorpion hunts nightly. Somehow it has turned in to somewhat of a fun game trying to see how many we can get – it’s pretty cool how you can see their skeleton with a black light. They are really easy to find as long as they aren't hiding. I’ve shocked myself by going out there with him since I hate critters! We go outside armed with 2 blacklights, a can of bug spray, a screw driver & long tongs. You can’t just step on a scorpion and kill it – you have to jam it with a screw driver over and over. Luckily when you spray them with bug spray they play dead which makes it easy to break them in to pieces. We look inside every night, too and have yet to find one at night or at all upstairs – so that’s good. And I haven’t seen one alive in our house in about 5 days which has been fabulous.

I’ve been reassured by my friends & neighbors that over time, these little creatures are controllable. They will always be here but there’s a chance I won’t see as many if I take a few precautionary steps. I’m just hoping they don’t like Nate’s room or the nursery. Or my bed!

For any of you with scorpion experience – send me any tips you have!

15 comments:

Alyssa Griffeth said...

Doreen may have already mentioned this to Wes...

When we first moved to Texas, Thayer told us that their pest control company recommended that they have a Borax wax treatment sprayed throughout their attic. Apparently, that's where a lot of them hide (and nest) and then they come downstairs through the air vents. So, since I was TERRIFIED of scorpions, I made sure that we had the treatment done before we even moved into the house. (Our bug guy didn't even charge us extra!) It's just a thought...And who knows if it really even helps, but it sure has been nice to NEVER see a single scorpion at our house when our friends get them all the time.

Good luck! It sounds like you guys have a great little system worked out! Ha!

Can't wait to hear a baby update! Hooray for no Valentine's baby!!!

Alyssa Griffeth said...

I just googled "borax and scorpions" and read that you can dust borax (found in the laundry isle) around the base of your doorways. Not sure if it works, but it's a cheap potential solution!

Melissa Snyder said...

One thing that works great to keep scorpions out of kids beds and your bed is put the post of your bed in glass jars, or anything with glass. Scorpions can't crawl up glass. So it will keep them out of their beds and yours!
When we lived in Arizona we had them all over the place too. I remember going out at night using the black light and just killing tons on our cinderblock fence.
Those critters creep me out. But the glass is one way to keep them from bitting you and your kids in teh night.
Good luck this week. Can't wait to hear baby updates.

Brooke said...

OH my! This is horrific! Char told me about your home being in one of the pockets. I had to laugh when you were saying "break them into pieces".. scorpion hunting is like a little adventurous date night ;)

Amander said...

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Scorpions freak me out.

Good luck!

Katie said...

I don't know why but this post cracked me up. Mainly the part about jabbing them over and over with a screwdriver. Very efficient Lindsay! Well, don't get my mom started on this subject b/c it's kind of a second job to her. She has lots of scorpions and is crazy! They seem to keep coming back - in smaller amounts though. I was stung by one in her kitchen a few years ago. Crazy! Those little suckers are nasty. And I never saw one until that day either! All those years living there. so sorry girl!

laurel said...

Oh my gosh I would die. Eww and scary! You are definitely brave. I can't believe what you have to do to kill them!

Laurel said...

WOW! Lindsay Jane I am so proud of you for taking on the problem to head on! Although, I can't see you doing the stabbing. I picture Wes being in charge of that part. But then again, it might be quite vindicating to kill the critters. They would definitely freak me out too. Good luck!

Alisha said...

I know how much you hate bugs...so I am totally impressed that you are willing to hunt with Wes.

Becky Chatwin said...

I am so glad things are getting under control! I am sure things will settle down in a few weeks. Just be sure to keep on it in the summer months, because that is when they are the worst, they try to come inside more because it is hot. I hate scorpions.

Unknown said...

I swear I feel spiders crawling all over my body after reading that! Yuck. You are brave going in your hunts.

510Jen said...

HOLY CRAP. I could not do this.

Camille said...

rotten, totally rotten! We had a few out of no where at our house. they popped up suddenly 3 in one month after living there for over 2 years and NOT haveing seen any.
luckily Jonathan's new buddy is a bug guy and loves to deal with scorpians. He does the spraying, black lighting and all that good stuff. Good luck though!

I havne't been here forever. You are expecting #2- yeah! So fun- congrats. Your family is darling. I love the blog header pic!!!!

Trisha said...

My tip...call a bug guy.

leigh and spencer said...

Okay I much rather deal with the ladybug issue that we have! Those things look nasty and hopefully won't try to come to Georgia, or at least Ellijay. Good luck getting them out before Baby #2 comes!