Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Is honesty a foreign concept?

Last week I exchanged a onesie at Old Navy for a pair of shorts for our little guy. I was on the phone during the transaction so I wasn't paying that much attention to what was going on. The guy checking me out accidently put the onesie that I returned in the bag with the pair of shorts & I walked out the door. I didn't realize it until I got home and looked in the bag that the onesie was given back to me after I returned it.
Well, naturally, a few days later, I went back to Old Navy to give them the onesie that was technically theirs. You should have seen the astonished look on the girls face when I told her these accidently ended up in my bag & I was bringing them back. She was literally shocked that someone would be that honest. I obviously didn't think it was a big deal...I was just giving something back that wasn't mine.
It was kind of a sad day for me to be reminded that honesty is that rare in this crazy world we live in.

2 comments:

Meagan said...

It IS a foreign concept!! I have worked at Gap for almost 6 years now and have seen a lot. I've seen people who come in with only one intent, to steal. Then, you have moms who have little kids who tend to swipe things at stroller level. They're always the first to run back feeling embarrassed and apologizing. I LOVE when people come back and are honest. It makes me think there is hope for honesty in the world.

Katie said...

This is a catch-all comment, b/c I haven't commented forever but I totally agree on the honesty thing. That always happens to me when I remind the register I have something like soda on the bottom on my cart they didn't ring. Sad, but true. And I have to say how darn cute you are pregnant. i love it. Are you having a Vegas shower? is my mom helping? I want to come back and see you and your cute family. And lastly...I would seriously pay you to scrapbook for me. I love those pages. So original. Your family is too creative!