Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A day of thanks.

We had a fabulous Thanksgiving Day this year. 

It was technically an “in-laws” year for Thanksgiving [but since Wes used all of his vacation time & more this summer we needed to stay.  We missed you Griffeth clan.] so my parents decided to go to Salt Lake but my sisters were here so we all got together for a casual Thanksgiving Day.  And I have to say . . . it was wonderful.  We rarely get together with just my siblings so it was a nice treat.  Nate, Abbie & Daisy played exceptionally well together which left time for the adults to visit and chat [and chase Ryan]. 

Our day started with walking the track at Abbie’s elementary school just down the street from our house.  It’s a great tradition at Bartlett – it’s fun to see your friends and neighbors on Thanksgiving morning and to get a little exercise.  Vegas may not have the best autumn as far as pretty leaves and cooler weather,  but we almost always have fabulous weather on Thanksgiving Day.

sam.ryan on track (1 of 1)

We headed to Ali & Tripp’s early afternoon and we hung out there until dinner time.  Sam made Thanksgiving sugar cookies for the kids to decorate &  we all contributed to the menu [I’m not gonna lie, Tripp and I didn’t do much]. . . and each of us made something that we hardly ever make so that made it fun, too.   It turned out delicious!  It was nice to keep it simple this year.

sam.kids with sugar cookies (1 of 1)

daisy.nate.abbie (1 of 1)

And when you have two fabulous girl cousins that live around the corner from you – you’re bound to end up in a dress every once in a while.

dress up (1 of 1)

And while we’re talking about a day of thanks . . . here’s a few things I’m thankful for:

I am thankful for Weston R. 

I’m sure glad I snagged him 9 years ago!  He keeps me on my toes & makes sure our little world is always entertaining and fun.  He’s a fabulous dad to our two boys – I love watching the beginning of Wes teaching them all he knows.  He works very hard to support our family and on top of that he is FABulous around the house.   One of my favorite things right now about Wes is how he genuinely looks out for my little sister, Sam.  Until she finds a man lucky enough to marry her – Wes is always checking in with her to make sure she’s doing well and makes sure she doesn’t need anything.

IMG_2669

I am thankful for Nathan.

He is still a boy of extremes.  I’ll focus on his wonderful side.  He loves to do/make things for people and lately has been very interested in helping others.  He has an enthusiasm and excitement for basic things in life that I love.  He is creative and a little quirky and loves random things around the house.  He has a tool box of random items that he is constantly creating with.  He definitely inherited a competitive side and wants to win at absolutely everything he does.  He’s definitely testing the waters right now but I sure am grateful for this little boy.  He makes me smile.

IMG_2686

I am thankful for Ryan.

Even with the almost two-year-old-ness and the fits and the hitting/scratching (oh, ryan) and the short naps that results in more fits...he is truly a joy.  This little boy is one constant motion - he never stops moving.  He climbs.  He gives the biggest and best bear hugs you can ever want and can lay on the charm.  You will find him saying “pretty please” when he really wants something.  He is a total boy – he growls at just about everything, laughs when he farts & gets excited to tell me his diaper is “cucky”.  Despite all of his craziness, he still gives me endless cuddles throughout the day which I love.  And even though he gives me a run for my money every single day – I sure do love this monkey.

IMG_2699

I feel like my list of things I’m thankful for could be forever long.  But here’s a few more: our health, our home, our great families, sisters, wonderful friends, my Savior, the gospel, my calling in Primary, jobs for both Wes and myself, & the ability to be home with my kids.  Life is pretty good and I’m thankful for that.

3 comments:

Sammy said...

It was indeed a fabulous, laid back thanksgiving. And I appreciate that both of you spend lots of time looking after your little sis. It means a lot

Ali said...

I'm thankful that you took pictures this year....

Doreen Griffeth said...

What a great post! We all need to show thankfulness like this!
Thanks for sharing about the men in your life!
Love,
Mom G