Wednesday, November 2, 2011

halloween night

We had a great Halloween night.  Halloween is a friends & family kind of holiday to me . . . the more the merrier.  So I invited 35 people to my house for dinner on Halloween night!  Everyone was fabulous and brought food and it turned out to be pretty fun.  We had 4 pots of soup and lots of Halloween food, treats & drinks before we went out trick-or-treating. 

family room (1 of 1)

candy corn veggies (1 of 1) 

candy apples (1 of 1)

halloween treats (1 of 1)

the kiddos (1 of 1)

Trick or treating was fun.  We did a loop in my neighborhood and it turned out great.  Ryan ran his big elephant self around the entire loop.  He let me carry him once we were a few houses away from home but he wasn’t letting anyone carry his bucket of candy!  He loved following all of the kids around and attempted to barge in to any house that had a dog.  And of course, Nate loved going with some of his friends.  After every house he would yell, “mom – I said thank you again!”

ryan walking up to a house (1 of 1)

kids trick or treating (1 of 1)

It turned out to be a pretty fun night.  There is no way I would have pulled this off in time without Sam’s help.  My mom forgot she told me she’d come in the afternoon to help with set-up [she’s the queen of dinner parties] so Sam showed up even earlier than she originally had planned and saved the night.  We cooked and arranged to the tunes of Christmas music.  When my mom showed up – she was quite a lifesaver, too. 

In October, we watched a lot of “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!” so we continued the Great Pumpkin tradition in our house this year. 

linus and sally

Nate and Ryan each picked about 10 pieces of their favorite candy to eat this week and the rest went in to the big black cauldron that was left on the porch on Halloween night.  The Great Pumpkin comes and takes all of the candy and leaves the boys with a surprise.  This year it was Superman t-shirts and some superhero figurines.  They loved it.

great pumpkin comes again (1 of 1)

Happy Halloween!

7 comments:

Amander said...

Sam is always a lifesaver!

And the great pumpkin taking their candy and leaving a surprise is a great idea!

J-Leav said...

You said it was "pretty fun" and turned out "pretty well." IT WAS FREAKIN' AWESOME!! I declare it a tradition! Highlight of my October, seriously

The Skeehan Family said...

oh my gosh - your house and the food looks awesome!!! what a fun fun fun night. and I love your candy idea - we may have to incorporate that into our traditions next year - this time it was just keep 10 and the rest goes to Daddy's work :)

Alisha said...

So fun! You make every holiday a great time!

Patrick and Jennifer Thompson said...

what a great idea with the candy. I might have to try this.

Patrick and Jennifer Thompson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doreen Griffeth said...

What fun! Amazing!
Thanks for the pictures of two of my favorite boys!
Love,
MOM G