Tuesday, August 12, 2008

August 9: Sam & Allan's Day

The entire weekend was filled with family and I loved it. I had 7 aunts and uncles & 15 cousins here from out of town to go to my uncle’s baptism. It just so happened that most of them could also join us at the temple as my little sis’ went through for the first time.

Saturday was quite the day in the Marz family. It started at 9:30am at the Las Vegas Temple. I have to say it was pretty neat having my entire family sitting inside the temple. I’ll confess that I hadn’t been in a while so it was great to be there again! After the session, we went to Cheesecake Factory for a yummy lunch! We picked up Nate from the babysitter and we all headed to the chapel to set up for the dinner after my uncle’s baptism.

My Uncle Allan is the one that got baptized. He’s been married to my Aunt Kara for 40+ years and he finally made the decision to be baptized. It was amazing to see him there. He couldn’t stop smiling. His son, Devin, was able to baptize him. I’m glad I could be apart of such a great day for Sam and Uncle Allan.

The other best part about the weekend was having my extended family in town. My dad’s side of the family is quite large and regardless of how much time goes by before we see everyone, it’s always fun. I was able to spend Friday and Saturday night with everyone while Wes stayed home with Naters and I had a blast. Saturday night was especially hilarious as we were all exhausted, yet still chatting at my parent’s house. I saw a side of my Uncle Gary that was so incredibly hilarious . . . Sam and I almost peed our pants. And who knew that my Uncle Robert had a tendency to kill animals? His stories, with Gary’s commentary, made me laugh harder than I’ve laughed in a long time. To sum this weekend up: GOOD TIMES.

I was TERRIBLE at taking pictures. I didn't get a single one of Sam or Allan on their big day. But I did get a few of the little ones . . .

Abbie CRACKED me up on Saturday night. At the dinner following the baptism, she sat on the floor and during the musical number she was playing the "air piano" on the floor. She was so focused on playing the imaginary keys. I'm sure she wanted to be just like her brother, Kyle.



Then, after every speaker, she'd look at the microphone and say "my turn, my turn". So finally, I let her have her turn and while it mortified her mom, I thought it was great. She was quite the performer. I think she needs a karaoke machine for her birthday.




And of course, my little man.


Congrats Sam and Uncle Allan! It was great to be a part of your day.

8 comments:

Ali said...

For the record, there is a huge difference between letting a child sing in a microphone when people are at tables and still expecting a program of sorts and when they are up and walking around and starting to leave. Don't worry, you'll get yours...

Kelsey said...

How fun! Did your sister go through just for fun or is she getting married?

Doreen Griffeth said...

Congratulations to everyone!
Love,
MOM G

Katrina said...

That is so exciting! I bet your aunt has been waiting a long time for that day. I am glad you were able to spend time with your family. We are going to Cali this weekend to be with my extended family and I am so excited. Being with family is the best!

Patrick and Jennifer Thompson said...

Congratulations to Sam and your Uncle. Hanging out with family especially for those experiences is awesome!!

Amander said...

Very cool day for Sam. If only I lived in Vegas and had been through the temple - I for sure would have been there.

The Skeehan Family said...

Please tell Sam congratulations for me, what an amazing, powerful day. She never ceases to amaze me, what a decision to just make on your own.

And about your uncle - that's exactly what my aunt Sandra's husband Wayne did after they'd been married like 50 years - it just blows you away.

Tina said...

I to think Abbie needs a Kareokee or how ever you spell it for her birthday. I loved this weekend it was not only really neat to be at two very special events it was a ton of fun being with everyone. I loved seeing Daisy and Abbie and Nate and getting to see their little personalities. It was just fun to be with everyone I hope it's like that in Heaven.