Friday, July 4, 2008

we're back from the islands



I LOVE HAWAII. We had an amazing vacation!

{Most of the pictures of Wes & I are taken by me with my arm out! In case I don't get around to scrapbooking . . . I included a lot of photos!}



The hotel was beautiful. It’s been a long time since I’ve stayed in a hotel like the Kea Lani. It’s right on the beach in Wailea, Maui. I love that side of the island. The hotel had an amazing pool with plants and palm trees everywhere. They even had a water slide (one of my all-time favorite things). The service was phenomenal. Every room is a suite so there’s plenty of room with a great balcony to sit and stare at the ocean and pool area.


{a view of the hotel from the beach}




{the hotel lobby}




{my view from my lounge chair at the pool}



{having fun on the water slide}




{we loved walking down to the beach as the sun set}




{on our balcony with our lei's}



{the hotel grounds looked like this}


We mostly just relaxed at the pool and beach but we managed to get out and do a few things, too. A group of us played tennis, Wes played golf while I did some shopping with Katie, I read Something Borrowed & started The Host, we went canoeing on the ocean where we saw many sea turtles, got massages, ate yummy food, swam in the ocean & enjoyed time relaxing. We had the perfect mix of time with just us as well as some time with Wes’ friends that he works with. Since they’ve been going there for 7+ years in a row, they were able to give us lots of recommendations!


{we went on a canoe ride on the ocean with Parley, Wes' supervisor. We saw a few sea turtles!}







{Wes & Parley jumped out of the canoe to go swimmin'}


{we took many naps poolside}



{swimming in the waterfall}



{We love being on the beach & swimming in the ocean}

We ate great food while we were there. I never knew that I liked the flavor of macadamia nuts since I don't love the actual nut. We had macadamia nut banana pancakes, macadamia nut crusted pork, macadamia coconut fudge icecream from Lapperts (by far the best icecream I’ve
E V E R had. We had this daily!), maui tacos with pineapple salsa, LOTS of pineapple and delicious fruit juices, banana coconut smoothies & MANY shaved ices.

{One of many banana coconut smoothies by the pool}


{I LOVE a Hawaiian shaved ice. I had one just about every day.}


We went with a group to Mama’s Fishhouse . . . a really nice restaurant right on the water. It had great food & a beautiful setting. All of their fish is caught that day so Wes was able to enjoy some tasty seafood. I don’t eat anything in the sea so I stuck with the macadamia nut pork which was delicious.

{a view of the beach from mama's fishhouse}



{Wes & I at Mama's}





{us with our YUMMY coconut, lime & mint smoothie}


{the group at Mama's}



{the actual restaurant}


We had a cloudy/rainy day but other than that we had decent weather. It was actually kinda nice to have a cool day since it’s so darn hot in Vegas. It did feel extra humid this time, though. I definitely had a good case of Hawaii hair!


{I love the torches at night all over the hotel}


I love everything about Hawaii. I love the palm trees. The soft, sandy beaches with bright blue clear water. The marine life you get to see. How laid back everyone is. I’m even OK with the humidity because the island is so beautiful. We definitely enjoyed our “week off” as parents! I highly recommend a kid-free vacation for everyone. I’m grateful Wes works for such generous people. They take quite a crew every year . . . we are very grateful we got an invite this year!



We went to pick Nate up this morning from my parent’s house. I wish I would have had the video camera because he was really confused! He’d look at me. Then look at Wes. Then look back to me. Back to Wes. Trying to figure out who we were! After about 30 seconds of that he pointed to me and started clapping! It was great to see him again. We definitely owe my parent’s big time! They seemed to have a great time with Naters and I’m sure he had a blast.


18 comments:

Amander said...

That looks like such an amazing vacation! Canoeing in the ocean looks like so much fun! Glad you had a good time.

mrs. timberlake said...

nothing describes how much i covet your week.

I will remind you yet again that you are a hot tamale.

i'm also jealous of your clap from nate - after 28 hours away, mackenzie wouldn't even look at me and addison would only go to tony.

Doreen Griffeth said...

Wow! I was hoping I'd get to see pictures before you got here! Thanks for sharing! You two look great! The Thorntons and your familly will be tanned this week! Can't wait to see you!!!
Love,
MOM G

leigh and spencer said...

Hawaii looks awesome! Hopefully we can go one day sooner than later. I'm extremely jealous, but you guys deserved the break. I can't wait to hear about the trip. See you when you get here.

Kelsey said...

Wow, does that look great! We are going to Maui in Dec. so you gave me some good pointers of things to do! And another trip! What a fun birthday month for you!

Alyssa Griffeth said...

What a great vacation!!! I'm totally jealous! I'm so glad you guys got a baby-free break. I think we all need that at some point or another...I'm thinking my time is coming SOON!

See you this weekend!

Ali said...

That snowcone is taller than you...

Julie T. said...

I love your dress! It looks like you had an amazing time. When you get back in town (and back to our time zone) call me and you can come meet Ridge.

laurel said...

What a great vacation!!! Brad and I are sitting here looking at the pictures wishing we were you! You totally deserve a kid-free trip - I am glad you enjoyed yourself and took advantage! By the way, you have really cute bathing suits.

Megan said...

How fun!! Donny and I constantly wish we were back in Hawaii! There's just no place like it! Oh how I wish I could've crawled in your suitcase! Maybe next time!

I think it's so neat your parents took Nate. Do you think they'd take mine???hahaha

katierose said...

ohmygoodness! it looks like you had the time of your lives! it's nice to see that wes laid by the pool and not in the room watching espn. i'm so glad you were able to take some time out to RELAX! it's been so long since i've seen you! i look forward to you getting back from your next vacation...i hope it's a great one!

The Magic Family said...

Another trip... and another trip for us to be jealous of! I'm so glad that you had fun, but who wouldn't in beautiful Hawaii! That is really funny about Nate! I'm sure he was a little angle for your parents too!

Camille said...

Wow! I love vacations! I am so jealous- looks like you guys had a wonderful time!

Andrus Family said...

That trip sounds amazing! It's official - we all need to go there now 'cause you two will know what to do and where to eat. I'm loving the descriptions of all of your smoothies/snow cones/ice cream! Love the pics!

Taralee said...

HOW FUN!!!!!!!!!! That looks like my kind of vacation! The pictures make me crazy. I want to gooooo :)

Anya said...

Is it possible to actually hate your friend? I am so jealous- I can feel myself wanting to hit you!
Just kidding.... kind of....

Tina said...

Looks like you had an incredible time. I love Hawii too it's an awesome place to vacation.

Lillie said...

Have I really not commented on this one?? I'm catching up but I definitely read this one--- I could never forget that shaved ice. I want one right now. And what a cute cute (modest) dress. Where oh where do we find those?