Sunday, November 14, 2010

we’re back from TEXAS.

We got back today from a great trip to Texas to see some of Wes’ family.

We decided a while ago to just take Nate on our little adventure. We called it our “big boys only” trip.  Nate has been struggling a little bit in the behavior category lately so we thought he could use a few days with the focus just on him to have some fun. And lets be real – a trip with one 3 year old sounded fabulous so we were glad my parents were able to take Ryan for a few days.  [how did i ever think one toddler was hard?]

Nate was great in Texas. All of the kids were! [we met Wes’ brother Spencer and his family there to see Wes’ other brother Grant and his family]. It was such a welcomed break in parenting. Nate was so easy to travel with and he had a blast with his cousins. Wes and I really enjoyed being able to focus on just Nate and have fun. It gave me a slight preview in to an easier life with older kids because he was so easy!

Unfortunately, the second we walked through our front door this morning he reverted right back in to his old self but at least we saw a glimpse of fabulous behavior in Texas!  Maybe we’ll go there more often because we sure had a blast with our little man in Texas!

Ryan was asleep when we arrived so I went and picked him up from my parents once he woke up. When Nate was about Ryan’s age we left him with my parents for a week and Nate wanted nothing to do with me when I picked him up so I was curious to see how Ryan would react. He did the same thing! Ryan stared at me for a good 15 minutes without even a crack of a smile. He gave me this look of . . . “who are you, crazy lady and why are you smiling at me?”   He didn’t even look like he remembered me at all.  And then it was like it instantly clicked who I was and he gave me a big smile and crawled over to me for me to hold him. We obviously missed him while we were gone but we were glad we left him behind with grandma and papa marz. I’m sure he loved undivided attention from grandma!   Ryan wasn’t feeling it with my dad!

It was an exhausting 24 hours . . . by 6:15pm both kids were in their beds for the night . . . but it was a great 4 days in Texas.

Pictures and trip details to come . . .

4 comments:

mrs. timberlake said...

nate is funny. it makes me wonder too what it would be like to raise ONE CHILD. hmmph.

p.s. i miss texas. honestly. i really loved it.

Alisha said...

Waiting for details...

The Skeehan Family said...

oooohhh, I can't wait to hear details. No wonder we haven't been able to connect!! And I think it's so funny how kids subtly let us know that we tick them off sometimes, but then it wears off and they are like, "ok, I love you again."

Nikki, Cody, and Tessa said...

Glad you had fun in TX, we sure do! I know what you mean though, the older child is a challenge because they so need that undivided attention that we can't always give them!!!