Sunday, April 18, 2010

the yard: before and after

It all started when Wes/I were in the yard with my mom, Jose & Jose's crew while our palm trees were being trimmed and shaved.

This palm tree is SOOOO high up in the air - it scared me to death to watch him up there!


We started talking about having the yard be our first big project in this house to give it time to grow. Since my mom loves working in her yard, I asked her if she wanted to be my "landscape architect" for our big project. With a tiny baby and a crazy toddler, it wasn't going to happen without her help. She was thrilled I asked - she loves projects like this. I pretty much let her take charge - she came over a lot with her drawings, etc. We had fun together including many trips to the nursery and hours and hours in the yard. She definitely knows what will grow and what won't in this desert of ours.

This photo was taken during hour 11 in the yard one Saturday. Of course she still has lipstick on!


I don't have any photos of the yard before all of the work began - but here are a few taken during the process.

BEFORE







It went like this . . .

. palm trees were trimmed
. plants, rocks, bushes, vines, etc. were removed.
. raked rocks.
. updated and re-painted entire surrounding wall.
. raked rocks.
. installed a child safe pool fence.
. raked rocks.
. poured landscaping curbing for some planters.
. raked more rocks.
. worked 12 hours one saturday to remove raked rock and plant everything.
. raked remaining rocks.
. put down the sod.
. planted remaining flowers & a few finishing touches

AFTER



Lots of flowers throughout the yard. I am especially excited about the lime tree, lemon tree & pomegranate bush!



view from the master balcony.


I am ready to swim in that pool!


the courtyard by the front door.


back patio table


We couldn't have done it without these two, that's for sure!


I'm excited to watch everything grow!

14 comments:

Alisha said...

Wow! Looks great. I can't believe how great the lawn looks already! Good luck keeping everything alive!!

Alyssa Griffeth said...

It's GORGEOUS! I'd kill for that healthy-looking grass here in good ole' Texas. :) I am so impressed how fast you did all of that...And with a newborn! But I'm sure you will love enjoying your yard all spring and summer. Way to go!!!

P.S.- LOVE the blue and orange pillows/pot/flowers. I'm loving that color combo these days!

mrs. timberlake said...

you have the cutest parents around.

i just am so happy for you guys to be in that house, with that yard and that pool.... it's awesome.

yay you!

laurel said...

It's AMAZING Lindsay!!! Wow the difference is incredible! I can't believe you own this gorgeous home! (I mean, I can, but you know what I mean!) I love it and cannot wait to come stay - a poolside getaway!

Doreen Griffeth said...

LOVE it!!!!!! Wow! Amazing!!!!
Thanks for sharing!
You will love it for years to come! You are so LUCKY to have a MOM that knows all about plants! Enjoy!!!
Love,
MOM G

The Skeehan Family said...

oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh... that is INCREDIBLE - seriously incredible! Please ask Barb if she if hire!!!

Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

Oh and ps, we do the panties on top of the pullups too :)

Amander said...

Wow, that is a fantastic transformation! Enjoy.

Julie T. said...

It looks fantastic!!! Does your mom want to be my landscape architect too? She has a gift- and you inherited it too:) Can I come see you soon?!?!

Kiley said...

It looks so good! When you open that pool up give us a call!

Adam and Bri said...

Gorgeous, Lindsay! Just gorgeous.

Tina said...

Looks beautiful Your Mom has talent in more ways than one. What's the beard doing on you Dad?

leigh and spencer said...

Boy, I bet all that work wore Wes out- no wait, Did he ever get any dirt on his hands? I don't think so. It looks great!!

Bella Beginnings said...

wait didn't you just have a baby... seriously you are amazing. Your house looks great. How nice to have it "done" and growing!

katierose said...

WOW! that looks GREAT! you are REALLY going to enjoy your summer in that beautiful yard! and what darling parents you have.