Wednesday, April 14, 2010

we've got a new yard . . .

We've been busy.

When we moved into our house we decided to do one big project right away - the yard. We pretty much took everything out except the pool and the trees and started over. The removal included plants/shrubs/flowers/grass and thousands of small, ugly pink rocks. I never knew raking rocks would be such a workout. We raked rocks almost daily for over a month to get rid of all the rock that used to exist in our yard. This all began the day after we brought Ryan home from the hospital and ended on Saturday {although I still have a few finishing touches to do this week}. We hired Jose & his crew, who maintain my parent's yard, to help with the labor and the irrigation. My parents were also a huge help!

I haven't taken pictures of the finished product yet - but I had to write about the kids during this process.

ryan. What a trooper. During one of our 12-hour-workday-Saturdays he was so content in his swing or his chair outside. He moved around the yard with us and didn't make a peep all day. I made sure he was fed with a clean diaper and that was all he needed. He loves being outside.

ryan asleep in the garage.


my dad finally admitted that his knee still hurts post-surgery so he was put on kid duty a few times! One afternoon he took Nate to the park & to ride the carousel at The District.


nate. Give this kid a shovel and some dirt and he's happy. He LOVED having a yard full of dirt and rocks. He always asked to go outside and help. He spent hours and hours and hours outside with his gloves on and a rake in hand. I love that he enjoys working. He's going to be my yardwork buddy, for sure.



wes always makes it fun for nate!


Nate LOVES Jose. He's been "helping" him mow my parent's lawn for a year so he was thrilled when Jose came to our house, too.






We are excited to enjoy our yard this summer. Finished product photos coming soon!

9 comments:

The Skeehan Family said...

I just spent the most wonderful 15 minutes catching up. I love seeing in pictures what we talk about on the phone. Although we didn't talk about THIS undertaking. Wow. I am giddy to see what it ends up looking like. Seriously, when you guys get a yard you guys you don't mess around :)

Few other things, I loove love love nate's little whisper to ryan, that is just darling.

the pictures from when spencer and leigh came are awesome - what a fun visit.

and ryan's 6 day old pictures are treasures.

Doreen Griffeth said...

I am so glad that it worked out for you! Can't wait to see the finished product! We wish we could have been there to help!
Love,
MOM G

Alisha said...

Landscaping is always such hard work, but it is also one of those things that if you do it right once you can enjoy it for many years to come! Can't wait to see the final product!

Kelsey said...

That makes my back hurt just looking at it! The boys are so sweet. I bet the spirit in yoru home right now is amazing. I miss yoU! Sorry I never wrote back by the way. Katrina, Kellie, Kara, Tara, Heather and I are the ones that showed up to dinner. We missed you. Next time, k? Or, if you are needing a get away, come see me! =) lol

Alyssa Griffeth said...

WOW! I had no idea how HUGE this project was!! I hope you took a few "before" photos so we can compare it to the finished product. Can't wait to see what it looks like!

mrs. timberlake said...

wow. you have been b U s Y.

stop teasing already and show us the finished product!!!!!!

Andrus Family said...

Yes, I can't wait to see the finished product - I'm sure it is amazing!

Nikki, Cody, and Tessa said...

Pictures of the final product, please!!!

Lillie said...

I can't wait for the finished product pictures!

I love before and afters--- and I love yards--- We've got to see this new house of yours some day...