Thursday, April 5, 2007

Book Club - Agatha Christie


~The District at Green Valley Ranch ~

Once a month a group of us get together for book club. We rotate who is in charge of picking a restaurant & leading the discussion on the book. Tonight was my turn. Our nights are absolutely perfect right now so we met at The District. It's a local outdoor shopping and dining area that is just charming, especially at night. Lights in the trees & little tables/benches throughout. There are plenty of "take-out" restaurants so we all picked up our food & met at a table. It's a small group but I really look forward to it each month.


This month we read a mystery novel, "The Murder on the Orient Express", written by Agatha Christie. I've always wanted to read one of her books. Since I was in charge of leading the discussion, I got to do some research on Christie and this particular novel and it was really interesting. The Orient Express first ran in 1883 and is still running today. Agatha Christie is known as the "Queen of Crime" and sold more than 2 billion copies of her novels. She never attended school - it was through her determination and help from a governess that she learned to read and write. Her "first love" was music which eventually turned to writing.


I enjoy book club because I read novels that I typically wouldn't read on my own. It has really broadened my horizons as far as reading different types of stories and non-fiction books as well. I also love the girls in our book club. I met a lot of them through book club so it's fun to get together every month!

1 comment:

JnR said...

We just did the same book a couple months ago for our bookclub! You should invite the group over and watch the movie it's really good! ~Roshelle