Thursday, April 25, 2013

My dad’s knee replacement: Take 2

IMG_5601

My dad had his knee replaced in April 2011 & it just didn’t work as well as it could have.  After a few years of constant, mild pain he finally started talking to doctors about his options and decided to stick with Dr. Hoer’s {the doctor for the first surgery} partner, Dr. Tait.  Dr. Tait does a lot of second and third go arounds on knees so he’s got a lot of experience under his belt.

The first knee was a newer knee as far as technology but they think his body rejected the material of the knee.  When they went in for the 2nd surgery, they found scar tissue everywhere that they had to clean out before they could replace the knee, again.  They replaced it with a less-advanced knee but it’s a different material so we’re hoping this will work.

The first surgery was awful for my dad – the nerve block didn’t work so he felt all the pain from the beginning.  He was throwing up.  He felt terrible.

I’m happy to say that Round 2 has been much better so far!  The nerve block worked so he was able to rest without being in pain.  They switched him off morphine this time so he wasn’t throwing up.  Overall, much better.

IMG_5606

Sam was a daughter on a mission this surgery.  She made sure that my dad was never left alone except for the middle of the night when he was mostly sleeping.  She worked 4 twelve hour shifts at her own hospital and then spent endless hours at the hospital with my dad for the next 2 days.  She got there early, she stayed all day, and stayed late.  And got us all on shifts so he wouldn’t be as lonely this time. Ali was able to pop in a lot throughout the day since Tripp was out of town and she was stuck at home at night. My mom was obviously there a lot. It was a little harder for me to spend quality time there during the day with the kids so I took the night shift for 3 nights . . . 2 of which Sam was there and it was fun to just chat with her and help our dad.

My dad is hilarious on those drugs.  On Monday night, he had Sam and I rubbing his feet, head, spoon feeding him ice, etc.  He was definitely milking it {I don’t touch feet, usually} and was absolutely hilarious.  He came up with some really funny things to say and then half way through would fall dead asleep.

Memories.

I am very glad he is surrounded by family & that he is doing well.  It’s always great to see my dad’s friends support him . . . he had countless hospital visits, friends sent food every day for the nursing staff, flowers, etc.

I heart my family.

No comments: