Monday, October 10, 2011

our weekend.

Being in primary is pretty fun.

This year the theme is: “I know the scriptures are true.”  In January, we challenged the kids to bring their scriptures every week and they DID!  They filled up their “scripture jar” with beans and so they earned their party.  We passed around a little questionnaire to see what kind of activity they wanted and the majority was a movie night.

So we took it one step further and did a Radiator Springs drive-in on Friday night.   Most of the kids built their own box car and arrived to the drive-in in style in a car.  They walked in the church on a road and parked their cars to watch the movie.  The biggest hit of the night was Sally’s Snack Shack where they each had 3 tickets to buy their treats.  And when they got wiggly – there was a car themed game room that 3 of our fabulous Beehives ran for us.  Overall, the night was a hit.

sallys snack shack (1 of 1) 

watching the movie (1 of 1)

radiator springs (1 of 1)

lightning mcqueen and luigi (1 of 1) 

Nate and I went as Lightning McQueen and Luigi.  I can see now that my “headlights” were a little much. :)  Nate was surrounded by some of his favorite friends but he kept coming to find me to watch the movie with him.  I figured the day will soon come when he won’t want his mom watching a movie in the middle of all of his friends so I obliged.

After a long week [my main client was at the biggest gaming show of the year this week – enough said] and a big primary activity to finish planning – I was glad for a “must do-less Saturday” where there was nothing we had to get done. 

Our Saturday was pretty nice . . .

- Wes installed a new radio in his car that has bluetooth so he can obey the “hands free while driving” law that kicks in in January.

- Nate and I went to the nursery where we picked out a few things to plant.  We ended up with an orange bush, some fall flowers, cilantro & basil and it’s all in the ground.  Nate is my nursery/gardening buddy. He’s great with the wagon at the nursery and he wants to be involved in every step of the planting.  And the weather was FABULOUS.

- Speaking of planting – Nate & Ryan were out in the side yard this morning that is all dirt and rocks [a little boy’s dream] and I could hear Nate teaching Ryan how to plant things. :)

- We braved Costco on a Saturday & enjoyed a little Chipotle.

- Watched football. [it’s on every Saturday’s agenda].  Go Cougars & Bulldogs.

- Had some Halloween fun.

- Made pumpkin brownies.  They were basically pumpkin choc chip bread in a thinner form but I liked them & they were easy.

- And I got ambitious somewhat late on Sunday night and made a batch of caramel/chocolate apples.  I’m determined to master these one day!

It was nice to have a Saturday just to do whatever we felt like.  We need more of those.

2 comments:

J-Leav said...

I declare the caramel apples mastered! They were delicious

Andrus Family said...

What a cute activity! I'm going to have to remember that one...and hopefully never be in the presidency to have to actually use it! :) And I can't stop laughing about your "headlights"!!