Tuesday, April 26, 2011

papa got a new knee.

My dad had knee replacement surgery yesterday.  His right knee has been killing him for a while now and he finally decided to go ahead with the surgery.

The surgery itself went really well.  Dr. Hoer said that two parts of his knee were pretty much gone which explains the pain.  The only scary part was in recovery.  They gave him some morphine which would put him to sleep and then he’d stop breathing.  Eventually they got that under control and he’s been doing pretty well ever since. He was in a decent amount of pain yesterday but was coherent and doing much better than I imagined he would.  Unfortunately today wasn’t as great when he was throwing up all morning but he’s hanging in there.

Nate had soccer pictures last night right behind the hospital so he came with me to see Papa.  Sam assured me that my dad looked and was talking fine so Nate wouldn’t be scarred for life.  He thought it was pretty cool to go to the same hospital where Nate and Ryan came out of my belly.  He was slightly hesitant when we got to Papa’s room but he warmed right up and was chatting Papa’s ear off taking pictures all over the hospital room.  After about 30 minutes of that he got bored and went on lots of walks with grandma and aunt Ali.

He asked to go back today so we stopped by after pre-school and said hello to Papa.

I’m grateful my dad is doing well and especially grateful for modern medicine that will let him run with his grandkids and play golf again!

2 comments:

J-Leav said...

Wishing your dad a good and quick recovery...and if he desperately needs someone to sit with him at the hospital, I can take a shift :)

Doreen Griffeth said...

Our prayers are with him for a speedy recovery!
MOM G