Sunday, May 22, 2011

i’m not the freezing kind . . .

I buy frozen items but I’m not one to freeze things that I’ve made.  I don’t make extra batches of anything just to freeze it.  Wes & I have never loved food out of the freezer.

But my friend Brityn is a freezing whiz.  So I’m trying a few things just to see.  Plus, I’m in “food storage / organize my pantry” mode. 

First up?

strawberries (1 of 1)

Frozen strawberries.  We LOVE smoothies & we’ve been making them a TON lately.  Which is great right now because there’s a plethora of fresh fruit options.  But come the fall – there won’t be & frozen fruit is a little pricy sometimes.  So when we saw that strawberries were on sale for $1 a lb. at VONS we checked them out and they were FABULOUS!  So, I bought 10 pounds and added a little “fruit fresh” and they’re now frozen in my freezer for the minute strawberries aren’t in season anymore.

And as long as we don’t lose our power one day – we’ll have a food storage fruit stash in our outside freezer that didn’t cost a whole lot.

bagged strawberries (1 of 1) 

Next on the list?  To freeze delicious summer corn and raspberries!

OH, and since I hardly EVER turn on my oven in our excruciatingly hot summers – I’m making batches of muffins and freezing them so we can have smoothies and muffins throughout the summer without turning on the oven!

I owe ya, Brityn.  This is kinda fun.

[nate loved EATING the strawberries!]

nate eating strawberry (1 of 1)

2 comments:

The Skeehan Family said...

You are way too impressive.

Maybe I might try to be as good as you someday :)

Where do you find said fruit fresh, though???

nice job mama.

Doreen Griffeth said...

Great idea! You will be glad you did this!
Love,
MOM G