Saturday, December 26, 2009

christmas week - part 1 - disneyland



My family LOVES Disneyland. We always have. But we've never made a trip in December to see the magic of Disney combined with the magic of Christmas. So this year we decided to go the week of Christmas on my mom's birthday which means she got in for free and received many birthday wishes with her birthday pin on.

Speaking of getting in free - Wes' mom gave us a ticket last year that she has held on to for 27+ years! In the early 1980's Disneyland celebrated their 30th anniversary and every 30th person through the gates got a free ticket. Wes was the 30th person through the gate and Doreen still had that free ticket and it worked! Wes got in free, too! All the lady behind the counter could say is "wow". The ticket looked like it was from the 1960's!



We drove down to California on Monday. We left around noon anticipating being to the hotel no later than 4:30pm. Thanks to a major accident that left us in a standstill we finally arrived around 8:15pm. Talk about a long journey with toddlers. As soon as we all arrived, the cousins ran around the hotel room thrilled to see each other and be out of a car seat!

{Nate was ready for his road trip with his slurpee, green gum, blanky & his headphones}

On Tuesday morning we headed to Disneyland for a day of fun. Wes originally wasn't going to be able to come because work is so busy right now but gave me an early Christmas present and figured out a way to join us! Nate and I both loved having dad there.

Nate absolutely LOVED Disneyland with the family. He loved having his cousins there, aunts/uncle & grandma/papa. He was in heaven. I've been teaching him about Disney characters for months now and it definitely paid off just seeing his face when we saw a new character or ride. His excitement started in the parking lot when he saw Mickey on the posts telling us where we parked. He gasped in excitement over and over.



Pluto is one of his favorites - he was the first character we saw walking in to Disneyland. Nate wasn't shy at all . . . he was so excited to meet his favorite dog! Seeing the characters (his "friends" as he calls them) was by far one of his favorite things about the day.





Nate loves his cousins which made his big day at Disneyland complete. He held Abbie's hand a good majority of the day.







Some of the lines were somewhat long but I was actually expecting longer since school was out and it was the week of Christmas. By the end of the day the place was packed but it was still really fun to spend the day with the entire family riding rides, eating treats, and enjoying the magic of Disneyland!

Nate loved all of the rides but I'll never forget his first ride on Peter Pan. He's obsessed with Peter Pan and loved seeing all of the characters on the ride. After riding the teacups with everyone but his mom and dad - he said, "i get so dizzy."




Disneyland all decorated for Christmas was pretty neat.




I have to say that I was very impressed with Nate and all of the little guys on our adventure. They all had significantly less sleep than usual and were still pretty well behaved the entire day. They definitely wanted to be held a lot in line - but other than that they were troopers. Nate was a little sneaky and managed to escape the line a few times when I took my eyes off him for a few seconds!

We left around 8pm and made the trek home that night which actually turned out to be a great idea, in my opinion! I was definitely exhausted on Wednesday but it was nice to wake up in my own bed and have the traveling part over. Thanks Sam for staying awake and driving me and Nate home safely!


Thanks mom and dad for an early Christmas present - it was a fun trip to Disneyland! I can't wait for our next Disney adventure.

9 comments:

mrs. timberlake said...

I have been waiting for these pictures! I canNOT believe Doreen has kept that ticket all these years. She deserves a gold star!

The girls would like to know what flavor gum Nate likes. They have yet to appreciate anything other than juicyfruit.

Britt and Rick said...

I saw the pics you took of Kiley and I love them. You seriously rock. I enjoyed looking at all your Magical pictures, ha Nate is one lucky little boy. Merry Christmas.

The Skeehan Family said...

I am FLOORED the ticket worked!! Yeah, if I had been that lady, I would have said "wow" too :)

And all the pictures of Nate and the characters are adorable, especially considering in every one of them he is holding their hands... soooo cute.

Can't wait to hear more about it. Hope you had a great Christmas. Anxious to have a visit.

Unknown said...

I love Disney Land around Christmas. We've gone on Christmas Eve several times. It is so magical!!

Julie T. said...

You lucky-ducks! Disneyland around Christmas-time is heaven! Everyone looks like they had a great time. Glad to hear that Wes could join you- it is much easier with a husband around, right?

F-A-N-G-U-P-O said...

How fun! I love Disneyland too....my parents used to take us there every year back when I was growing up. Ova has never been there before so that's one of our top goals....and now that his health is improving, our goal can be realized! Christmas time at Disneyland sounds like it would be so magical.... what a lucky/blessed little guys Nate is!

I love your funny-face picture, such a cute little family!

Hope you guys had a great Christmas and we wish you a Happy New Year! Thanks for the Christmas card, it's hanging on our fridge!

Amander said...

Looks so fun!
And I love your new header picture.

Alyssa Griffeth said...

What a great trip! We're headed to Disneyland on Monday and I can't wait! I know Olivia will be in heaven!

SO glad you managed to keep that ticket stub from falling off and that it actually WORKED! It's worth a whole lot more today than it was 27 years ago....Especially since its a small fortune to get in these days!

Doreen Griffeth said...

I don't know how I missed this fun post! Great fun for your family!
Thanks for sharing the fun!
Love,
MOM G