Friday, January 25, 2013

my mom’s birthday

IMG_4385

Sam, my mom & I flew up and back to Salt Lake City on December 22nd {my mom's birthday}.  Why, you ask?

The Ballet West Nutcracker holds a special place for our family.  My Grandpa - Willam Christensen - started Ballet West and choreographed the first Nutcracker in the United States.  We grew up seeing the Ballet West Nutcracker almost every year.

My Grandma Florence passed away last December on December 29th & The Nutcracker was her last outing and all of her children were there with her.

program (1 of 1)

marz clan (1 of 1)

capitol theatre (1 of 1)

nutcracker (1 of 1)

I knew my mom wanted to go to the Nutcracker as a tribute to her mom and to get the family together so Sam & I made it happen.  We called my Aunt Linda and before we knew it, her entire family was on board to spend the day together on my mom's birthday!  Ali, Tripp & the girls also drove up for the weekend & joined us for lunch and the Nutcracker.

Sam, my mom & I had a great day.  We got on a flight at the crack of dawn and took a taxi to City Creek where we grabbed breakfast and started shopping.  Even though we all live so close to each other we don't do these things very often so it was a real treat.  We met Ali & her family at the Blue Lemon for lunch before walking over to Capitol Theatre to meet up with everyone else.  My mom's entire family - including all of my cousins - were able to make it.  

We finished up the night at a delicious restaurant called Sea Salt with all of my mom’s siblings.  It was so nice to have a long, leisurely, delicious dinner with wonderful family members without kids!  I truly enjoy my mom’s family and wish we could see them more often.

linda and barb (1 of 1)

mom and siblings (1 of 1)

cousins (1 of 1)

Bill & Michele drove us to the airport that night.  On the way they drove us down “Christmas Street” to see a festive street in Salt Lake. 

Happy Birthday, Mom!  I think birthday adventures should happen more often.

No comments: